- 2010/today – corporate studio of architecture in Munich and Parma with Gianfranco Zanafredi and Silke Langenberg
- 1995-2019 – professor of architecture for building design and construction at the University of Applied Sciences Munich, GER
- 1995/2006 – planning and realization of the redevelopment of the former state building and the Palais Neuhaus-Preysing in the city center of Munich, GER to create a directors building for the Unicredit HypoVereinsbank (in coop. with Guido Canali)
- 1997/2000 – member at the advisory committee for urban design at Salzburg, AUT
- participation, awards, authentications in various worldwide architecture competitions
- Publication of studies about the architecture- and urban history of Modena, IT
- 1983/1991 – employment as architect and publicist in Modena, IT
- Degree at the Department for scientific theory and history of architecture IUNAV
- course of Architecture at the Universities Florence and Venice, IT
Gianfranco Zanafredi graduated in Architecture in Venice (IUAV) in 1987.
He collaborated with Guido Canali over fifteen years on various projects including the cruise ship Costa Marina, the restoration of the nineteenth-century halls of the Palazzo della Pilotta in Parma and, in the same monumental complex, the preparation of the exhibition „Lights on the eighteenth century“.
Since 1992 he has been developing and realising in his own studio in Parma various projects for public and private buildings as well as urban spaces in historical and environmental contexts in central-northern Italy.
His projects are published in Italian architecture magazines and in the monographic book Gianfranco Zanafredi, edited by Michele Calzavara (Libria publishing house, Melfi 2009).
He participates in international architecture competitions, obtaining prizes and awards,
including the Mention of the Cosenza Prize (1998) and the Zaffagnini Prize of the Faculty of Architecture of Ferrara (1998).
He holds design seminars and conferences at the Faculties of Architecture of Ferrara, Milan and Parma.
- 2016/today corporate studio of architecture in Zurich, Munich and Parma with Gilberto Botti and Gianfranco Zanafredi
- 2014/today Full Professor for Design and Construction in Existing Contexts, Conservation and Building Research, Faculty of Architecture, University of Applied Sciences in Munich
- 2012–2014 Senior Researcher at the Institute of Technology in Architecture, Chair for Architecture and Digital Fabrication, Department of Architecture, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich)
- 2011–2013 Research at the Future Cities Laboratory, Singapore ETH-Centre for Global Environmental Sustainability (several months per year)
- 2006–2011 Research Assistant at the Institute of Historic Building Research and Conservation, Department of Architecture, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich)
- 2003–2005 Research Fellowship for the Dissertation in Engineering Sciences about «Buildings of the Boom Years, Architectural Concepts and Planning Theories of the 60s and 70s», receiving of doctoral degree the 24th March 2006.
- 2000–2003 Research Assistant at the Chair of Conservation and Building Research, Faculty of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Technical University of Dortmund
- 1994–2000 Study of Architecture at the Technical University of Dortmund and at the Instituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia, 2000 diploma in Architecture, Faculty of Architecture and Civil Engineering, Technical University of Dortmund